The Abortioneers Blog has asked a number of questions. The point is to learn how prochoice you are. Here are my answers.
Do you Agree or Disagree with the following statements:
1. Every woman has the right to choose to terminate a pregnancy regardless of when during the pregnancy. Yes. However, I believe that a c-section or vaginal delivery is also a way to terminate a pregnancy, and those methods should be taken over abortion after viability.
2. Abortion should be allowed even beyond 24 weeks of pregnancy. Yes.
3. Parental consent should be required for any teen under the age of 18 requesting an abortion. No. A woman is a woman regardless if her years on this earth are more or less than 18. EACH person gets to decide whether she wants to abort, not her parents.
4. Women who have more than 5 abortions are irresponsible. Nope.
5. Women who have more than 10 abortions are irresponsible. Nope. Though depending upon the reasons, I do think someone needs to reach out with offers of information and assistance.
6. Women should not use abortion as a form of birth control. Abortion IS a way to control birth, but I do not think it should be used as a contraceptive. From my point of view, this has more to do with safety and finances than rights. For the majority of people, the risks of abortion, especially repeat abortions, is higher than using hormonal birth control or condoms. As well, abortions are more expensive. For this reason, it simply makes more sense for people to use hormonal birth control and/or condoms over abortions.
7. I think reproductive health advocacy organizations should promote the use of emergency contraception in order to decrease the number of abortions in the US each year.Among many other things- yes!
8. I feel uncomfortable if a woman has an abortion because of the gender of the pregnancy. I do feel uncomfortable, yes. However, I stand for a woman's right to abort regardless of WHY she chooses to do it. I don't have to agree with a woman's choice to support her legal right to do so.
9. Male partners should have the right to be a part of the decision to terminate a pregnancy. A legal right, no. Do I think a woman should take her sexual partner's opinion into consideration? Yes. Unless her situation is one of rape or other violence, I think a woman should definitely ask her partner what he thinks/feels and take his opinion into consideration. But at the end of the day, it's HER choice and she is not obliged to do something that HE wants.
10. I think a woman's right to choose to have an abortion is an absolute and inalienable right no matter what. I don't think I can say yes to this. I definitely don't think women can choose abortion in the middle of giving birth. However, I don't think race, age, education, income level, method of conception or country of origin should stop someone from obtaining an abortion.
One more activity to sit with is an open-ended finish the sentence:
1. Abortions are: the termination of pregnancies; a legal right; healthcare.
2. Women who have abortions are: normal.
3. A woman facing an unwanted pregnancy needs to: Speak with her doctor, speak with those close to her (family,friends,etc), consider her religion and make the best choice for her.
4. In this country, abortion should be: legal, protected and funded.
5. People working to restrict abortion should: stop right now, because they are hurting women!
6. People working on behalf of women's right to choose should: be praised to high Heaven for standing up for equality in the face of danger.
Reflecting on Privilege
2 years ago